The commune is member of the „Carei and Ier Plains” Rural Association. The first written attestation of Căpleni dates from 1212, when the settlement was part of the domains of the Kaplyon family, and by the end of the 14th century Căpleni became exclusive ownership of the Károlyi family. The „Saint Anton” church is in Căpleni, and the architectonic aggregate also includes the crypt of the family of count Alexander Károlyi.

Due to its location on the southern limit of the former Ecedea swamp, Căpleni was renowned as a center of wattling craftsmen. After the drainage of the swamp, agriculture remained the most important source of income for the locals.